Sunday, June 14, 2009

Your Own Argument

CAMPBELL, aka SKYYWALKER, et al. v. ACUFF ROSE MUSIC, INC.

Did you agree or disagree with the ruling. Provide some authority for your argument

I definitely was skeptacle about the argument. I mean, 2 Live Crew pratically copied their whole song. I listened to the song myself and I didn't think it was funny. I didn't think it was a parody of the original. The 2 Live Crew Version sounded like it was directed towards a particular person. It didn't sound like it was trying to make fun of the original in anyway. "Judge Nelson, dissenting below, came to the same conclusion, that the 2 Live Crew song "was clearly intended to ridicule the white bread original" source I disagree, I think that the song was intended for a remix, or maybe for filler space on 2 Live Crew's album. I don't think they inteded to have a parody at all. As stated by Justice Kennedy:
"On July 5, 1989, 2 Live Crew's manager informed Acuff Rose that 2 Live Crew had written a parody of "Oh, Pretty Woman," that they would afford all credit for ownership and authorship of the original song to Acuff Rose, Dees, and Orbison, and that they were willing to pay a fee for the use they wished to make of it. Enclosed with the letter were a copy of the lyrics and a recording of 2 Live Crew's song. See Appendix B, infra, at 27. Acuff Rose's agent refused permission,"
Originally they asked Acuff-Rose for permission to use the song but they had said no. But yet they still published the song on their records anyways?
"Nonetheless, in June or July 1989, [n.2] 2 Live Crew released records, cassette tapes, and compact discs of "Pretty Woman" in a collection of songs entitled "As Clean As They Wanna Be.""stating that "I am aware of the success enjoyed by `The 2 Live Crews', but I must inform you that we cannot permit the use of a parody of `Oh, Pretty Woman.' " App. to Pet. for Cert. 85a." source
And sold it as well? I think there should be some repercussions for that. I think they just claimed "Parody" or "Fair Use" to save them from the courts. They copied someone's hard earned work. In my eyes, I don't find that morally right. The supreme court ruled that it was Fair Use and that it qualified as a parody. I think Roy Orbison and Acuff-Rose deserve more dignity for their music. I don't think its right for them to be infringed upon and their culprit let free.


No comments:

Post a Comment