Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Rights as a Property Owner

My rights as a property owner should be pretty apparent. I own the property. I'm responsible and entitled to everything on the lot. All laws that allow me to own property are effective in my state.I feel horrible for the guy in the movie we watched in class. He was trying to live the "American Dream" and own a nice house to support a family. Unfortunately, he meant well but I know the way he did business led him to his struggle. Owning property is a big responsibility that demands a back bone. He had a random Joe Schmo living in his apartment. He could have done business better by making sure the guy had a down payment or reviewing his credentials. If it was my house I was renting out I would make sure the credit check was looked through thoroughly and knew what I could be getting myself into. I also realized that he was renting out the apartments with his wife. I don't really trust operating a business with another person. Many "he said/ she said" feuds can arise. The tenant was able to take advantage of this knowledge and turn the two owners against each other. The guy claimed it was given permission to move in. No one gave him any approval. I, as a property owner would have called the police from the very beginning. You never know who you can trust, and this guy just swindled his way in. I have the right to boot this guy off of my property if he doesn't belong there. As far as I see it he was trespassing, and even breaking and entering when he changed the locks. I learned a great deal from this movie clip. I'll know for sure if I ever rent out any property I'll take the proper precautions to prevent situations such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment